June 21, 2006

As you all back in the States are enjoying the heat of summer, Brazil is entering the peak of winter. and it's no joke my friends.

Every time i enter the house, i don't have to say a word, if my facial expression even hints that it's cold outside, my host mom doesn't let me forget how she warned me at the beginning: "você não acreditou!", and then gives a little chuckle, hehe.

I always thought i'd be able to handle the winter here because it gets ALOT colder in the States. but there's a tiny detail that makes ALL the difference: heating systems simply don't exist here. but then, heating systems would be a big waste of money and energy because the winter here has intercalary days of sunshine and warmth (but it gets cold at night either way). However, on those cold days, it is as cold inside as it is outside. i now sleep with 4 blankets. when i got here, a sheet was unbearable at times and now 4 blankets is almost not enough.

No comments: