October 2, 2006

el amor de mi tierra!!

After 21 years, i finally got the oportunity to visit Santiago de Chile, the place where my mom was born and raised. Everything worked out for my trip last minute, from establishing Baha'i contacts there to finding a place to stay.

My friend Susana in Sao Paulo conected me with her friend Gael who lives in Santiago. We started talking through MSN about 2 days before my trip and he helped me with EVERYTHING. He basically explained how everything works in Chile, from all the many different options for getting home from the airport to how to get around on el micro (public transporation). He set me up in this house (kind of like a youth hostel, but not really) where two Baha'is from Canada were staying. About $10 a night for 3 meals a day plus "once" (tea time), plus laundry! Unbeatable price. Plus, one of the guys let me use the laptop he was using, so there was free internet access too. Tia Vicky (the owner of the house and our hostess) was so kind and attentive to all our needs, and proved to be an amazing help in finding the missing piece of the puzzle of finding my grandmother.

No comments: