December 19, 2011

say little, do much

I originally wrote this note a couple months ago on facebook, but am posting it here because it ties in with thoughts I will post tomorrow...

This note is inspired by an article written by my amazing cousin. She talks about navigating her college experience amidst many choices and opportunities, and recalls a conversation with our grandmother that really touched me.

“During my freshman year, as I was sitting over coffee with my Bubby, I explained my courses, labs, jobs, organizations and activities. Eager to embark on the college journey, I made promises to myself about the future…."I will go to the gym at least twice a week," "I will keep in touch with my high school friends" and "I will not procrastinate in my classes." The list went on and on. After patiently listening to my schedule, hopes, and expectations, my Bubby quietly remarked, "emor me’at veaseh harbeh," "say little and do much." My Bubby explained that it is easy to make promises to oneself and to others, but it is far more difficult to follow through on those promises. Therefore, she instructed me to minimize my talking and increase my actions.”

Yom Kippur was fast approaching and my cousin goes on to challenge her readers to do the same – i.e. “minimize promises” and “maximize actions”. In many religious traditions, there is a time during the year of taking the time to turn inwards and reflect on our actions, what qualities we have, how we can still grow and develop. In Judaism, that time falls during Yom Kippur. In Islam, Ramadan. In Christianity, Lent. And in the Baha’i Faith, we have the month of fasting. I would challenge us all to not limit our inner reflection to those holidays or New Years Eve, but rather take a moment each day to see how our actions align with who we strive to be.

“After all is said and done, a lot more will have been said than done.” – Unknown

"Let deeds, not words, be your adorning." -- Baha'u'llah

“The best way to keep one's word is not to give it.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“A promise is a cloud; fulfillment is rain.” – Arabian Proverb

“Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned.” – Peter Marshall

“Remember, people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions. You may have a heart of gold - but so does a hard-boiled egg.” – Author Unknown

"Don't talk about it, BE about it." - Eric Thomas

No comments: