February 14, 2006

Classes Postponed till after Carnaval - xtra week in Bahia!


So, classes were supposed to start 13 of February, but we were informed on Monday that classes wont be starting for another 3 weeks, at least till after Carnaval. PUC just fired 30% of their faculty because they were in a financial crisis and don’t have enough money to pay them. Classes are now scheduled to start March 2nd. But the first two weeks of classes are "trial" for CIEE students…we attend all possible classes we are interested in and at the end of 2 weeks we decide which 2 or 3 we are sticking with. THEN, at the end of march, we will finally be officially registered as PUC students.

SO, because of the change, and wanting to avoid a week of doing nothing, I called the travel agency that hooked me up with Bahia tickets to see how much it would be to change my outgoing flight for a week earlier. There was only a $R 40 fee, plus the difference in the flight cost, which wasn’t that much considering I made the change a week before my travels (this is me trying to justify the amount I spent for the trip). All in all, it ended up being about 400 US dollars for a round trip ticket to Bahia. That’s two weeks in Salvador, with lodging covered (since I’m staying one week at Naiana’s and the next at Gilmara’s). Not bad. (again, me justifying, hehe).


During this past week we’ve had meetings everyday with professors from different cursos to talk to us about the various classes offered in their specific area. i.e. this week has done nothing but confuse me. Now I have no idea what classes I will be taking during the semester, but luckily I don’t have to really worry about it till the beginning of March.

No comments: